Greek Sustainable School
“GREEK SUSTAINABLE SCHOOL: We all care, we all participate” is a programme of the Council for Environmental Education of ELLINIKI ETAIRIA.
The Sustainable School is a visionary school which considers the school as a community and incorporates into its schedule and everyday life, sustainability in all its dimensions. In everyday school life, according to the principles of sustainability, everyone (students, teachers, administration, parents, local community) coexist with each other in a spirit of teamwork and cooperation. A sustainable school serves democracy and human rights, promotes the culture and the pro-environmental behaviour and develops active and creative citizens.
The Program “Sustainable Greek School: we all care, we all participate” categorized input areas of sustainability (in human relationships, knowledge, culture, infrastructure and natural resources management) regarding school, for communication purposes and to facilitate the design of action plans, in eight (8) pillars, which are:
1. Democracy, participation and integration in school
2. The improvement of the learning framework.
3. The promotion of culture and the arts in school.
4. The sustainable building and the school yard and garden.
5. A policy for energy saving and transport to and from school.
6. The rational management of water, materials and waste.
7. Health promotion in school (exercise and diet).
8. From the local to the global scale.
The project team organizes seminars, based on the principles and the eight pillars of sustainability, to support schools and teachers, using new techniques and methodologies.
To find out more about the Sustainable Greek School you may visit the Greek version of the website: http://www.aeiforosxoleio.gr/